XBox Games Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the XBox games forum - A new and growing XBOX 360 gaming forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaddyDaveedo
Vault Hunter
Vault Hunter
DaddyDaveedo

Gamertag : DaddyDaveedo
Forum Achievements : 15
Trade Rep : 4
Cash : 2413
Times Thanked : 11

The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters Empty
PostSubject: The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters   The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters EmptyThu May 10, 2012 12:04 am

SPOILER NOTE: If you have played The Walking Dead Episode One, this feature is spoiler-free. If you have not, it does include spoilers, so go play the game and then come back.

Opinion: Telltale's main character is a sign of a new kind of game.

I love Telltale's The Walking Dead. I also believe it's an important game because it points to how gaming is changing -- evolving -- in order to appeal to that core of ourselves that demands emotionally gripping stories and characters, that holds the part of us that occasionally grows weary of the dominant model of gaming-as-combat. At the center of The Walking Dead is its main character Lee Everett, and he is something special.

On the face of it, The Walking Dead is an ordinary gaming experience. The story is a simple and familiar one of confused people running away from extreme danger. The gameplay mechanics are rudimentary, involving choosing straightforward dialog options, or clicking on bad guys fast enough to ensure that they go away. The puzzles aren't especially challenging; you find things and put them to use in a particular order.

No, the reason this game is so awesome is because Lee Everett is a straight-up nice guy.

He's that rare videogame character who doesn't spend his dialog slots blabbing to you and the rest of the world about his awesomeness. His one-liners are gently self-deprecating, rather than the usual tired put-downs. Rendered in a comic-book style, his facial expressions are emotionally transparent - hopelessness, pain, fatigue, concern, confusion, shame, anger. He is an everyman. I like his personality and I enjoy spending time with him.

It's interesting because the game I played straight after The Walking Dead was Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I found it a complete turn-off because in comparison, Adam Jenson is so two-dimensional and annoying. That's kind of crazy because, compared with most games, Jenson is a deep, sophisticated charmer. But in story terms, he's an empty thing, a human-shape attached to weapons.

So what makes Everett special? Most of the characters Lee comes across, in my view, are unremarkable, but this helps in allowing the quiet, reasonable, softly spoken man to become part of the story, as opposed to dominating the screen in the tiresome way of most videogame protagonists.

[Link]The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters 1Lee_Everett-234x300
Back to top Go down
http://www.xbox360gamesforum.com
Publik NME no1
Illusive Mod
Illusive Mod
Publik NME no1

Gamertag : Publik NME no1
Forum Achievements : 15
Trade Rep : 4
Cash : 1568
Times Thanked : 10

The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters   The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters EmptyThu May 10, 2012 3:07 am

He's ok, but I'd rather play as Rick.
Back to top Go down

The Walking Dead: Why Lee Everett Really Matters

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1