XBox Games Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the XBox games forum - A new and growing XBOX 360 gaming forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaddyDaveedo
Vault Hunter
Vault Hunter
DaddyDaveedo

Gamertag : DaddyDaveedo
Forum Achievements : 15
Trade Rep : 4
Cash : 2413
Times Thanked : 11

The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA Empty
PostSubject: The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA   The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 2:21 am

EA believes that almost all mainstream video games will soon be free-to-play, with a heavy emphasis on microtransactions.

Discussing the future of the industry, Corporate Vice-President of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business division Peter Moore said, "I think, ultimately, those microtransactions will be in every game, but the game itself or the access to the game will be free.”

"I think there's an inevitability that happens five years from now, 10 years from now, that, let's call it the client, to use the term, [is free].

"It is no different than… it's free to me to walk into The Gap in my local shopping mall. They don't charge me to walk in there. I can walk into The Gap, enjoy the music, look at the jeans and what have you, but if I want to buy something I have to pay for it."

Moore believes that while the full-price retail model may survive, "the real growth is bringing billions of people into the industry and calling them gamers". For that, he says, freemium is the way forward.

"Hardcore gamers won't like to hear this. They like to circle the wagons around what they believe is something they feel they have helped build - and rightly so," he continued.

"But we have seen, whether it was with the Wii getting mom off the couch to do Wii Sports or whether it was, more recently EA Sports Active, where we get females who love to work out, all the things that social gaming did - Rock Band did it, Guitar Hero did it - all of the things that elevated it from being a dark art of teenage boys usually sequestered in the bedroom - that it was testosterone-filled content that everybody railed against - to where everybody is a gamer… if you can move your index finger and swipe it this way, you're a gamer.

"And that has got to be the way it goes."

Moore’s comment comes shortly after Crytek announced that it will focus development solely on free-to-play games

This is the future, folks. Get your credit cards ready.

[via x360a]

The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA Ea
Back to top Go down
http://www.xbox360gamesforum.com
Publik NME no1
Illusive Mod
Illusive Mod
Publik NME no1

Gamertag : Publik NME no1
Forum Achievements : 15
Trade Rep : 4
Cash : 1568
Times Thanked : 10

PostSubject: Re: The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA   The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA EmptySun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 pm

I found this quote from EA on the matter...

“When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you’re really not that price sensitive at that point in time.”

Are you $hitting me? EA are a right bunch of tools!
Back to top Go down
VrAzZLe Meister
48 Hour Trial
48 Hour Trial
VrAzZLe Meister

Gamertag : VrAzZLe Meister
Forum Achievements : 1
Trade Rep : 0
Cash : 57
Times Thanked : 0

PostSubject: Re: The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA   The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA EmptyMon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Even the thumbnail alone hits the nail on the head.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA   The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA Empty

Back to top Go down

The Future of the Industry is Free-to-Play, Says EA

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1